- Computer with internet access and a projection system.
- Writing materials (notebooks/paper and pens/pencils) for each student.
- Envelopes or containers for the ‘Guess the Writer’ game.
- Whiteboard & markers.
- Students will be able to understand and articulate the uniqueness of personal experiences and emotions that give writing a distinct voice.
- Students will be able to identify distinct elements of human writing when comparing it to AI-generated content.
- Students will appreciate the value of personal writing voices and their irreplaceability, even in the age of advanced AI.
- Invisible Ink
- Initiate a discussion on discovering the unseen writer’s voice, underscoring the uniqueness of personal experiences and emotions that make writing unique.
- Passion Punchline
- Ask students to craft a sentence about something they are passionate about.
- Select a few students’ sentences and use ChatGPT to generate paragraphs based on them. (Do this while students are completing the next activity)
- Express in Excess
- Ask students to expand their initial sentence about their passion into a full paragraph, focusing on expressing their unique voice and style.
- Author Unknown
- Collect the student-written paragraphs, shuffle them, and redistribute.
- Allow students some time to read the paragraphs they received, and then let them guess the author of each, spotlighting the distinct voice in each piece.
- Me, Myself, and aI
- Project the AI-generated paragraphs for the class to see and read together
- Facilitate a class discussion comparing AI-generated paragraphs and student-written ones.
- Emphasize elements unique to human writing, celebrating each student’s intrinsic imprint.
- Reflect and Connect
- Conclude with a wrap-up discussion on the irreplaceable value of personal writing voices, even in an age where AI can emulate human-like writing.
|Supplemental Activity Ideas
|Dive into Famous Writers: Read passages from famous writers and discuss what makes their voice unique. Then, generate an AI-written paragraph in their style and compare.
AI Experiment: Give ChatGPT the same prompt but ask for different styles (e.g., romantic, humorous, melancholic) and compare the results.